He wakes up at 4am every morning and spends one hour engaging in breathing exercises. He will be 89 years in the spring of 2016. He is reading and keeping up to date on worldly affairs.
– What is the secret of a long and happy life, I asked.
– Avoid stress and worries, he answered.
– It is all up here, he explained, pointing to his head.
– You can learn to control your thinking and thus your immune system and health, he said.
We talked for about half an hour. He answered all my questions to perfection.
– I have a lovely daughter and I would like to have a long life so I can watch her grow up. What are my chances, I asked.
– You are smiling all the time, he said. This is a very good sign.
I was smiling for the rest of the day and the days that followed. I considered myself very lucky to have met such a wise individual.
My daughter has has enriched my life beyond belief. No doubt about that. But this wise man added another dimension to my enjoyment of life. He brought hope and partly changed my views on mankind. Now I know there are alternatives to this primitive barbarism I see too often in the world.
I have met one of them. Now I have to see if there are others like him out there.
Old man, we shall meet again. I will surprise you one fine day when you least expect it. I may have to travel very far but somehow I will come to you. Thank you for sharing your wisdom with me. You touched something inside of me.
Published 9 February 2016.