i-City Shah Alam is a development by I-Berhad, a company founded by executive chairman Tan Sri Lim Kim Hong. I-Berhad bought the land in 1993 for RM60 million from the Selangor government.
The development is located in Selangor’s capital Shah Alam. It will feature a large shopping complex, office towers, a technology centre, hotels and serviced apartments.
The heart of the development will be CentralPlaza @ i-City, a large shopping mall that will most likely attract a large number of people and turn i-City into a shopping destination. It is unlikely that i-City would survive without a shopping mall. CentralPlaza @ i-City is undoubtedly the most important ingredient in the development of i-City.
This is the second time Tan Sri Lim Kim Hong is trying to develop this plot of land. In 1995 he launched the Sumur City project, a project that failed, possibly because of the financial crisis that hit the region in 1997.
In 2005 he tried to launch once again, this time under the name i-City. Unfortunately in 2008 there was a global financial crisis which affected the project. However, Tan Sri Lim Kim Hong did not stop believing in the project.
i-Residence was launched in March 2012. The project comprises of two 33-storey towers with a total of 346 units. i-Residence, a mid-end product, was a success with good take-up rates. It was in 2012 and 2013 that things started to move in the right direction for I-Berhad, almost 20 years after the land was bought. Sometimes things take a little longer than expected, sometimes you gotta hang in there and be strong. Sometimes good things come to those who wait.
What is out there in the area near i-City? I hate to say it, but there is absolutely nothing of interest. We are really far away from Kuala Lumpur. I doubt that people living in the Greater KL area would spend an hour getting to i-City and another hour returning home. CPN is taking a big chance on this project. CPN has had some problems with Central Embassy in Bangkok, a mall also know as Central empty. Success for the Central @ i-City mall is not guaranteed. This has to be a mall for the people living in Shah Alam. The big question is, will it work? The mall will offer a different shopping experience for Malaysians, no doubt about that. What are the needs of the local consumers? Other than that there are a lot of uncertainties about what is going to happen. Personally I would want the mall much closer to Kuala Lumpur. Then again, the future has yet to come.
The project’s timeline:
• A number of shop offices were launched in 2006
• i-City obtained MSC Cybercentre status in 2008
• City of Digital Lights opened in December 2009
• i-Residence was launched in March 2012
• Plans for Clarke Quay @ i-City unvealed in April 2012
• i-SOVO launched in September 2012
• i-SOHO launched in September 2012
• WaterWorld in i-City opened its doors in November 2012
• In September 2012 it was reported that Thailand’s Central Pattana Public Company Ltd (CPN) was in talks with I-Berhad to develop a regional mall in i-City
• On 25 September 2012 I-Berhad signed a MoU with the Thai retail developer to set up the i-City Mall
• On 13 May 2013 I-Berhad engaged in a joint venture agreement with Thailand’s CPN to build a shopping mall called CentralPlaza @ i-City
• On 23 July 2013 I-Berhad deputy chairman Datuk Eu Hong Chew said the mall will open in 2016
• Red Carpet@i-City, an interactive wax museum opened in i-City in August 2013
• Best Western @ i-City, new hotel development unveiled in October 2013
• The Central Tower project was unveiled in April 2014
• The Jewel @ i-City unveiled in May 2014
• Liberty Tower @ i-City launched in September 2014
• Parisien Tower @ i-City unveiled in December 2014
• In December 2014 we were informed that Hilton is to manage a 300-room hotel adjacent to CentralPlaza @ i-City. The hotel will be called DoubleTree by Hilton @ i-City.
• In December 2015 we were informed that Hyde Tower @ i-City would be unveiled on Jan 15
• 3 March 2016: Hyde Tower @ i-City was 90% sold just 1 week after the project was launched
Official i-City links:
i-City in the online media:
Names of people involved in the project:
• I-Bhd chief executive officer: Datuk Eu Hong CHew
• I-Berhad’s executive chairman: Tan Sri Lim Kim Hong
• I-Berhad marketing director: Monica Ong
A list of I-Berhad’s development projects:
• i-Suite @ i-City
• CentralPlaza @ i-City
• Best Western @ i-City
• Central Tower
• The Jewel @ i-City
• Liberty Tower @ i-City
• Parisien Tower @ i-City
• DoubleTree by Hilton @ i-City
• Hyde Tower @ i-City
• 8Kia Peng @ KLCC
Published 20 February 2016
The design of the whole project has constantly kept changing over the years.
The pictures were taken 15 January 2016
The plot of land you see here is where they are going to build CentralPlaza @ i-City.
Below we see i-Residence @ i-City
i-City under construction. So what exactly are we looking at? We are looking at Hyde Tower @ i-City, Liberty @ i-City, Parisien @ i-City, i-SOHO and i-Suite @ i-City.
I would say we are looking at Hyde Tower @ i-City here:
i-City under construction in January 2016. Lots of cool stuff to look at.
Now it is starting to get kinda exciting. The plot of land you see to the right in the picture is where they are going to build CentralPlaza @ i-City.
Have you seen the future?
Well, they have probably not heard of The Guru yet.
Sooner or later they will.
It may take a month, it may take 5 or perhaps more.
Time is on my side.
He started with nothing and ended up as a billionaire. In 2012 things started to move in the right direction for him.
End of February 2016 one of his projects sold 90% of the units in just a weeks time. I will be tickling him under his feet at the right time. I know all about him.
Soon he will be asking the question many before him have asked:
– Who is this guy?
The future is near….It’s already here
i-SOHO @ i-City
i-SOHO @ i-City
i-SOHO @ i-City
i-SOHO @ i-City
i-City LRT Station in 2020?
Padang Jawa Station
Until we meet again